負荊請罪 (To beg forgiveness)

負荊請罪 (To beg forgiveness)

During the Warring States Period (B.C. 403-221) in the kingdom of Zhao, there was a general named Lian Po who held an important position at court.

One day, he found himself losing his popularity because of Lin Xiang Ru - another gentleman who was made a high-ranking official after retrieving the jade intact from the kingdom of Qin.

Lian believed it was unjust, so he often told people: "You know what, Lin Xiang Ru is good at pleasing the king and that`s how he made his title. Shame on him! I swear that if I meet him, I will insult him on his face!"

Lian`s condemnation was soon heard by Lin, so he tried to keep away from Lian.

One day, Lin went out with his subordinates and saw Lian from the distance; he immediately turned his vehicle around to avoid meeting Lian. However, his subordinates weren`t happy about this at all. They felt that Lin was being too cowardly.

"Why do you have to be afraid of him," asked one of his subordinates.

"I`m not even afraid of the king of Qin, so would I be afraid of Lian? If Lian and I have a conflict, do you think Qin will take this opportunity to invade our country?" said Lin. "At the moment, the security of our country is my priority."

The next day, Lian paid a visit to Lin. He had a thorn on his bare shoulder and said to Lin: "I overheard your conversation yesterday ... I`m an idiot. I`m shallow. Now, I understand how great you are!"

Since then, Lian and Lin became the closest friends.

* The idiom is used to describe a person who asks for forgiveness.

Translation

부형청죄(負荊請罪)

부(負):to carry

형(荊):thorn

청(請):to request

죄(罪):guilt

No comments:

Post a Comment